Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Once in a lifetime...or so I am told.



Anyone that has been to my house has seen this elk hanging on my wall.....
Well, good news.....he has a friend.

After 15 years of putting in for the big bull elk hunt, Cody finally drew out. I was excited for him, because as he keeps saying, "it is once in a lifetime". He has spent a few hours the last month up scouting for the elk, but most of his scouting has been done the last 2 weeks. He has gone up looking and every time he would come home and say "I did not see anything". I was worried, but I am sure, not as worried as he. Saturday was the opening day of the hunt, so at 4:30 am him and many, many family and friends headed up the mountain to help him get his elk (or whatever you do when you hunt). He came home that night empty handed.... He did see a few ,but nothing big enough to shoot on opening morning. He headed back up Sunday, and still no luck. He took off this whole week of work, so Monday morning it was back up the mountain for him. I did not hear from him, but around 10:00 pm his buddy called to tell me that he got one. I am no elk expert, but from the picture it looked pretty good. Cody says that it is not as big (wide as his dad's)-----oh yeah that is the one on our wall now, because his parents did not have big enough ceilings for it. Cody d says that he is happy with it, so as long as he is happy, I am happy. After all.....it WAS "Once in a lifetime."

I think I was a pretty good sport about letting him come and go as he needed to to get his elk, but I am glad that he is back and I do not have to feel like a single wife/ mother anymore. I am glad that he had a great experience. Thanks to all of his friends and family for helping him with this. Especially to Casey for spending so much time scouting and finding the elk (and to his sweet wife Sam for letting him come down and take off work). This will be something that COdy always remembers, and I think that I will too. After all, I agreed to let Cody hang it in our bedroom..... I know weird, but hey, it is his house too (and I don't want to pay $1000 or whatever it costs for a garage decoration.) Glad you had fun Cod, you deserve it!!!



15 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet Cody was pretty excited! I like your title. So true.

Michelle said...

holy crap! that elk is huge!

Shanell said...

Wow, that looks really big!! That will look GREAT in your bedroom :)

You are a good sport, I don't know if I could let Shane hang it in our house.

I told Shane to call you guys the other night, and he said "no, Cody is hunting big bull", I guess that means we couldn't bug him, but now that he has got one, we really need to get together.

brookiebaby said...

oh no....I will never let Ryan see your blog! :) Ha Ha! You're are a WAY better wife than I am!!!! soooo much better! I don't think I could let them be mounted in my house...hats off to you! :) ha Ha! I love the pictures of your kids in your other posts! Sooo adorable!!!

Casey and Samantha said...

Ha Ha! Well, I guess that Richard's elk did look a little lonely! Maybe when Casey draws out, we can add his to your collection; I don't know where it will go in our house! That's awesome that he got such a good elk. Casey said it was a riot!

Tiffani Mills said...

HaHa- I think I hear that "Once in a lifetime" phrase yearly. That is nice of you to display Cody's dads elk for him.
Cam has a tag for Wyoming! Cody coming home every night sounds nice- although I know just to sleep. Well tell Cody Congratulations- Cam did sit here admiring it too.

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

hey nona! wow what a find!! congrats to Cody...how ever you are waaaay nice...I don't think I could sleep with that in my bedroom. lol! Cute blog. it took me forever to figure out how to get a different back ground..go to cutestblogontheblock.com under free blog backgrounds...call me if you have questions. It's been fun...alittle TOO fun. haha! Your little girl is a doll! To cute.

Corinne said...

hey nona! it is so fun to catch up on your little family. you are such a good sport to hang that up on your wall! your kids are adorable. let's keep in touch.

The Perry Family said...

Wow! Good job Cody!! That is pretty impressive. You are a super nice wife to let him go and play. What a lucky guy :)

Carl said...

Hot Damn! I love it.

carl

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Nona, you are too, too nice. You're a good woman to let Cody hang the elk in your room. I don't think I could be that nice. :)

Nice elk, though. He should be proud.

Susanne said...

NONA, all I can say is WOW!! Wow for a big elk, but a even bigger WOW for being such a nice wife! LOL. You so cute.

Kelie said...

that is one BIG elk!!! and you get the wife of the year award...letting him hang it in the bedroom!!!! now that cody has had his fun, we should plan a girls trip!!!

Jennie said...

How exciting for Cody!! Tell him Congrats from us. I bet you're happy it's over, too. But of course, an experience of a lifetime! By the way, your kids are sure adorable, growing up fast, too.

Anonymous said...

What did that poor animal ever do to the country singing, fool.