Saturday, April 5, 2008

Primary Presidency Here I Come

Well I just got called to be the first councelor in the primary presidency. I was teaching Rilee's primary class. She was my only 'student' that came regularly. It was kind of fun cause primary was mommy -Rilee time. I would try to teach her about the creation (or whatever the lesson was on). Not more than 2 minutes in to it she would say, "let's just color and eat treats." Fine by me---especially on fast Sunday j/k. We spent most of class time coloring and taking frequent trips to the drinking fountain and bathroom. I will miss that special time with her, but I think the new arrangement will be best for her. She will join up with Payton's class. That should make her primary experience better, because she will actually get lessons and have a "primary class". I am glad that I still get to be in primary though. I would miss seeing her and Payton trying hard to sit reverently, and all the cute little things the kids say and do in primary. I am quite nervous for this new calling, I feel slightly inadequate to do it, but I will give it my best. At our first presidency meeting I joked that I have only bore my testimony 3 times in my life......once when each of my kids were blessed. Sadly it is true, although I might have done it once at girls camp. I can speak to a group of doctors or nurses about my work stuff without feeling the least bit intimidated, but when it comes to teaching the gospel (even to little kids) I feel very nervous. I hope everything goes well. I have a great president, 2nd councelor and secretary, so everything should go ok. Wish me luck and if anyone has any great sharing time ideas let me know. My first sharing time will either be on, "The prophet hold the priesthood keys" or "the Prophet teaches me to forgive and love others." Any ideas would be appreciated.

6 comments:

Suzanne Ivie said...

I am so excited for you. It will be a good experience. Is the 1st councelor the one who has to write the sacrament meeting program? I always thought that would be fun. You will do a great job. Keep us posted.

Michelle said...

good luck girl....that's really exciting. I didn't think I'd ever want to have a calling in the primary....but last week I substituted for a class, and loved it. I just hadn't walked into a primary room for umm....since I was in primary myself...so I never knew how fun it is. The kids are so cute and say the funniest things. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Brian said...

Nona,
You will do a great job. You are always taking charge of the parties and things up here, you'll be a natural. I was teaching the 5 and 6 year olds for a year and they were great as well as very bright.

Kelie said...

yay for primary! I am in the primary presidency as well so maybe we could swap ideas on sharing time and things!

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Nona, you will be absolutely fantastic in primary! It's my most favorite place to be. When it comes to teaching children you have what it takes becuase you have three little ones surrounding you every day and so you know how to relate to them! Also, someone once told me that teaching the gospel in Primary is so important becuase, as sad as it may seem, it may be the ONLY gospel instruction that children receive all week. I've got lots of ideas; I'll email them to you. :) Great update on the blog, by the way!

TR said...

You'll do a great job! WHen I was a counselor in primary I often used ideas from the Friend for sharing time. They have suggestions for every week. And thx for the dinner suggestions btw!